Friday, August 1, 2008

Of Culture and Tradition

My grandfather, "Lolo Ninong", was a herbalist. He had a different assortment of mixes and blends of herbal medicine and cures, which he himself organized. He even picked the ingredients personally by climbing mountaintops, visiting caves and swimming oceans and rivers, where some very unique plants thrive. He was a soldier in the Philippine Constabulary, but upon retirement, he focussed on being a herbalist and healer, which he started at a very young age, and even during his service in the PC.

My grandpa belonged to the tribal group "Manobo". Native to Santiago, Agusan del Norte. Being a herbalist and healer already runs in the blood as my grandfather's ancestry were all in the line of healing and magic. Although my grandfather has grown up to be a devout Catholic, who religiously went to church and attended eucharistic celebrations, served and spent his idle time reading the bible, he never forgot his tradition and culture. And with that, I am proud that my grandfather, in his lifetime was never ashamed about being a Manobo.

My mother works for the NCIP. National Commission for Indigenous Peoples. She is in charge of the scholarship grants given to the young hopefuls, all belonging to a specific tribal group. She too, is a proud product of modernization yet, also, proud of being a Manobo.

My sister Denise and I, have been in theater for quite a while and because theater thrives where culture and traditions are hoped to be preserved for the generations to come, we have made a commitment to research and teach what we have learned about our very own culture. She, in the field of theater, and I in education.


Technically, my grandfather is 100% Manobo, my mother, 50% only, since my grandmother, "Lola Berta" was half Chinese and half Hispanic. But because my father also belongs to a tribal group, the Hiligaynon, and is also 50% only since my grandfather "Lolo Peping" was Hispanic,that makes us, sibblings also 50%... We belong to a minority group that is rich in culture and tradition, yet mocked and even humiliated by the ignoramous who thinks that he is better just because he thinks his world is better. A world where my sibblings and I also live in.

My sibblings and I were never in the mountains or riverbanks, where our ancestors lived(we were born and raised and educated in the city) but judging from how they have survived and how descendants continuously thrive, there is not enough reason why the minorities of this country be treated unkindly by the very people who proclaim themselves to be "educated". Most minority groups are abused and used for other people's financial or political gain.

There is a part of myself that is angry because as expected, the minority group's capacity to fight back is too bleak. Not everyone in the tribal communities is educated, and if there are people who have earned a degree of education, even just a Secondary Level Diploma, will no longer go back to the community to teach the children there. Luckily, there are also a few who may not be part of the community, but give unselfishly to help educate the young.

As part of both worlds, I am duty bound to teach my students in the city about the different cultures and traditions of our minority groups. As a Social Studies teacher, I have made that commitment, and I shall not falter. For the future of the preservation of our traditions and culture depends on it. On the other hand, being raised in the city, my knowledge is definitely not enough to be able to give justice to my goal. With research and networking with other people, artists and lumads, I know, this goal will be realized.

In the meantime, I teach my children in school to be open to the idea that culture and tradition can survive even in the modern world. That DOTA and online games, or modern religions, or parties can not, should not, will not get in the way.

Lastly, I challenge each and everyone of you readers to take time and discover your roots, and be proud of the culture and the heritage that goes along with it. Enough with impartial judgment, and wrong optimism. Before the Philippines was colonized, before the coming of the conquerors, we already had our own identity...never ever forget that!!!

No comments: